The Mercer University School of Engineering
The Mercer University School of Engineering is pleased to once again invite seniors from your school to apply for our annual Scholarship Challenge at our Macon, Georgia campus on Saturday, November 11, 2017. We plan to award valuable scholarships this fall to high school seniors who are interested in Mercer’s engineering, industrial management and technical communications program. More information about Mercer Engineering is available at http://engineering.mercer.edu/.
If you no longer work with seniors at this school please share this email with friends or colleagues that do help students with their college plans.
The Scholarship Challenge is a day where we meet with these students to show them our campus, our labs and technology, and give them an opportunity to meet with our faculty and students. We use a design problem or a test of math skills to help us make scholarship recommendations. Your students do not need to have applied to Mercer – this event is open to any high school senior! We value your insights as you think about your students with strong academic potential coupled with a flair for creative problem solving and teamwork.
The process is very simple:
1. Invite students to go to our web site and apply for the November 11 event. The address to the student application is http://engineering.mercer.edu/scholarship .
2. Students fill in a short web form with their contact information and some background on their academic interests. We ask applicants to share with us a teacher or counselor name and email address so please give them a contact person and email that they can use. This way we can keep in touch with you.
We will take it from there and contact students with details about our event and scholarship opportunities. We would appreciate having students’ applications by October 30th. We expect to offer our scholarships before Christmas so that seniors can make their college plans early. We have learned how important it is work with counselors and teachers like you and we value your assistance.
The Saturday event on November 11th will include:
• Welcome breakfast and registration;
• The scholarship challenge (a math and language test or a media design problem for Technical Communication) in the morning — no calculus background is required;
• A parents’ program occurs in parallel with the scholarship challenge test which provides information about the admissions and financial aid processes;
• Engineering laboratory tours are hosted by our faculty and students;
• Lunch, afternoon campus tours and social time to talk with other participants, faculty and admissions counselors
Feel free to contact our event coordinator, Dr. Scott Schultz at (478) 301-2840 or via email to Schultz_sr@mercer.edu with questions you might have.
We are proud to be able to offer this opportunity to you and your students. Thank you for helping us get the word out to your graduating seniors!
Dr. Wade H. Shaw, P.E.
Professor of Engineering